My last blog was a review of Cafe Piccolo, at least that's what it started out to be. In the middle of writing it I realized it was turning into more than just a review, it was becoming an advice piece as well, if even just on a personal level, on how to better approach your single status. You don't always want that single status and the power to change it is in your hands but often there is self work that needs to be done and no one is going to do it for you. So lets lay down some foundations, the sturdy concrete on which we will continue to build on...one brick at a time.
Look Your Best
If you are going to go out after 7:00pm on a Friday or Saturday for more than just an errand, you have plans. Lets make that clear. You are going alone or with someone, doesn't matter, you have plans. You have plans for coffee alone, plans to see a movie with a friend, plans for a happy-hour with colleagues, plans for dinner with that guy your happily taken girlfriend has insisted you meet. Do yourself a favor and look your best. If it's simple, merchandise it up. Make sure your hair is in order. Pull it all back to fake styling but only if it's a good look for you. My girlfriend Teresa pulls it off perfectly. Me, not so much. I have a lot of baby hair and it look like I'm not trying at all.
Why is looking your best the best idea? I could make an entire list of reasons. I won't do that to keep this blog short and sweet but here are two - nah duh! - reasons. I feel really bad for an obviously single girl who put no effort in herself and is surrounded by a group of friends who look good. Now I know you are probably thinking, 'maybe she is not single but actually very taken, maybe she is the only "taken" one of the whole group'. Well I feel even worse for her if that's the case. When did she stop trying? Did she put the ball & chain on him and the "Let Yourself Go Fairy" appear to make her wish of never trying again come true? Cause that's what it looks like, snap snap! If you are of a more gentle kind heart and this seems a little too vain and mean of a reason, then consider my second. Do it because you should always put your best forward. If this was your career, would you not turn in your best work? You would spend countless hours and go through hundreds of slides to put together a PowerPoint for a 10 minute presentation, wouldn't you? Then why not put a little work into yourself for a 5 minute introduction that could be the first 5 minutes of the rest of your life.
No comments:
Post a Comment